"Emotion"
"Emotion"
What’s the point of listening to melodies with incorporated
lyrics, when you could just read the lyrics in a textbook? The lyrics of songs
are poems. Song-writers are poets. Why
does majority of the public find joy in listening to these “poems”, but act
indifferent towards actual poems?
Music is like a drug. It is addicting, and once you start
listening to it, you don’t to want to stop. It helps you forget your pain and stress.
“… There seemed to be more to all that music. The
reverberation came to mean something, took form and function.” (Alexie, 28).
This quote from the passage we read in class really helped me understand why I
listen to music. To me it’s more than just a few repeating phrases and beat
drops. It’s a way to let go by just enjoying what I’m listening to in the
moment. I relate to the lyrics and the feelings of the song-writers as I
unconsciously analyze them like poetry.
I connect the emotions to my own life, and by doing so a sense of
reassurance and comfort surfaces, because I know that someone else in the world
has had the same emotions as I had. The emotions and hidden meanings from the
song playing are emotions that most people are too afraid to even express
openly.
I dance every Monday at 7 pm. There are days when I’m too stressed,
irritated, and too tired to the point where I don’t want to move an inch of my
body. Somehow I always find myself in the studio at 7. As I dance, even if I’m
in pain, I suddenly forget all of my troubling thoughts, and let myself go as I
focus on one thing, dance.
Dancing and listening to music to me is like what Jimi
Hendrix’s Star Spangled Banner was to Victor’s father in the passage. It helps
us understand emotions, not just through the lyrics, as the melodies help
express the true emotions of the song.
Music has the power to help us understand our own emotions
and more importantly has the power to heal.

Comments
Post a Comment